Thursday, January 28, 2021

Hats Off to Biological Conservation

By Richard B. Primack
 
“The walker and naturalist does not wear a hat…to be looked at, but for other uses.”
 -Henry David Thoreau in his Journal.
 
After 17 years, I am stepping down as editor of the journal Biological Conservation.  I enjoyed my editing experiences, but I am also glad for the additional time for my own research.
 
The cover of Biological Conservation.

 
At the journal, we worked on many projects together and published numerous jointly authored papers, especially on the publication process.  It was wonderful being a part of an international community of conservation biologists.

Some of the editors on a field trip in Amsterdam.


During these years, we placed a special emphasis on trying to have a greater diversity of editors and authors, especially from under-represented countries.  I think we made some good progress.
 
The highlights of my time with the journal were producing special issues focusing on Japan, China, and India, and more recently on long-term tropical research and the conservation impacts of the COVD-19 lockdown.  Our special issue on environmental DNA was cutting edge at the time that it appeared. 

An Editorial about Primack leaving Biological Conservation can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment